Benjamin Franklin thought that thirteen virtues were essential for living a meaningful life:
1. TEMPERANCE - Eat not to dullness; drink not to elevation.
2. SILENCE - Speak not but what may benefit others or yourself; avoid trifling conversation.
3. ORDER - Let all your things have their places; let each part of your business have its time.
4. RESOLUTION - Resolve to perform what you ought; perform without fail what you resolve.
5. FRUGALITY - Make no expense but to do good to others or yourself, i.e., waste nothing.
6. INDUSTRY - Lose no time; be always employed in something useful; cut off all unnecessary
7. SINCERITY - Use no hurtful deceit; think innocently and justly; and if you speak, speak accordingly.
8. JUSTICE - Wrong none by doing injuries, or omitting the benefits that are your duty.
9. MODERATION - Avoid extremes; forbear resenting injuries so much as you think they deserve.
10. CLEANLINESS - tolerate no uncleanliness in body, clothes, or habitation.
11. TRANQUILLITY - Be no disturbed at trifles, or at accidents common or unavoidable.
12. CHASTITY - Rarely use venery (sexual intercourse) but for health or offspring, never to dulness, weakness, or the injury of your own or another's peace or reputation.
13. HUMILITY - Imitate Jesus and Socrates.
Quoted from The Art of Virtue by Benjamin Franklin, pp. 42-43
Meditate on these and ask the Lord how you are doing in each category. Let him speak into your life as to where you need to grow.
Murphy Geer Toerner
- Murphy's Devotions
- Austin TX and Baton Rouge, LA, United States
- I enjoy helping people. I am an encourager and I can see the good in others. I want people to understand what it means to be an authentic Christian and not just a religious "nut." I believe if Christians lived and loved others as Jesus lived and loved others, we would experience more of heaven on earth than hell on earth. These thoughts and writings are intended to encourage you to be who God originally designed you to be. They are also intended to challenge you and make you think. Also, I want you to know that I'm praying for you every day. Blessings, Murphy Blessings to you, Murphy